If you are one of those who have married a Thai national and thinking of settling down in Thailand, then you have landed on the right page. There are mainly two legal approaches to carry on with this procedure:

  • The foremost solution will be to apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa (marriage visa) prior to arrival in Thailand, which will allow you to stay for 90 days at a stretch.
  • Alternatively, the second approach will be to enter Thailand on a 60-day tourist visa* and then you can change your status. Subject to meeting certain conditions, there is a procedure by which you can postpone your visit with 12 monthly increments on the basis of your marriage.

*Note: A ‘free-on-arrival’ 30-day tourist visa will not be considered as you will be restricted to enter Thailand unless you are holding either a return ticket or an onward ticket to another country.

Cloud 7 Legal Services have experienced staff on hand to ease you with every step of the way. We ensure the process is completed correctly, smoothly and quickly – thus avoiding any unnecessary cost or delay. Our qualified lawyers will complete the application forms and accompany you to immigration to represent you throughout the visa conversion/extension process. We will also help you compile various items of supporting information that must be submitted as part of your application.

You need to have a legal marriage to a Thai national along with a valid marriage certificate which has been issued by the Thai government, or a foreign marriage certificate which has been translated and verified by the Thai government. A Thai ceremonial wedding is not considered appropriate for this purpose. Asset and income requirements are also considered, and these are simply to ensure that you can adequately support yourself and your spouse, and will not become a burden on the Thai community.

You need to get hold of the following criteria to become eligible :

  • A Thai bank account maintaining at least 400,000 THB or
  • A minimum of 40,000 THB ongoing source of income per month.

The consequences are little different for a foreign woman who marries a Thai, as herein the financial criteria are not applied. However, the Thai husband needs to produce proof of payment of personal income tax.

Upon your arrival in Thailand, a member of our staff will meet with you to discuss your situation and will accompany you to the Immigration Bureau if necessary. If you have entered Thailand on a tourist visa then it will be first upgraded to a non-immigrant visa. This step will ensure your visit to Thailand for a further three months.

At this stage, you will also need to establish a Thai bank account and transfer sufficient funds to satisfy the requirements noted above. The regulations formulate that these funds must have been held in your Thai bank account for a minimum of two months before you apply for an extension of stay based on marriage. If your income is earned through employment in Thailand then you must also hold a valid work permit.

After two months have elapsed we will accompany you to the Immigration Bureau, for the application of 12-month visa extension on the basis of your married status. Also, remain aware of attending the office of the Thai Immigration Bureau which is closest to the area in which you reside.